2016 is a year of new things to me: New places. New people. New feelings. New ideas.
And new books.
It was in this year that I set out to challenge myself to explore different genres of books. And to my surprise, that I did achieve. From leadership books, to fantasy novels, to psychology books, to reference books, to philosophy books, to Church history, theology, and apologetic books. Aside from my surprise that I successfully stomped-down this challenge, I’m also quite surprised as to how my interest further branched out, especially since I didn’t expect myself to be interested in Church history and in towards deeper theology.
Here are the books which helped shaped my 2016. These are some of my teachers who have challenged my thinking, and some of the leaders who have added to the molding of my heart.
Not all of these books are good (I’d say some of them are pretty challenging to finish), yet I enjoyed almost all of these:
- Innovators – Walter Isaacson
- Startup Nation – D. Senor and S. Singer
- Carnage and Culture – V.D. Hanson
- How To Win Friends And Influence People – Dale Carnegie
- How To Read A Book – M. Adler (as ironic as it sounds, yes, there’s a book like this existing)
- The Fine Art of Small Talk – D. Fine
- Your Career Roadmap – Nelson Dy
- Stock Smarts – R.Geronimo
- Beyond Talent – John Maxwell
- 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth – John Maxwell
- Effective Immediately – E. Bennington and S. Lineberg
- The 8th Habit – Stephen Covey
- Mindset – C. Dweck
- Tipping Point – Malcolm Gladwell
- The 4 Hour Work Week – Tim Ferris
- Now, Discover Your Strengths – Marcus Buckingham
- Eleven Rings – Phil Jackson
- Entrepreneur: Guide To Raising Money – J. Wiley
- Clean Code – R. Martin
- Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture – M. Fowler
- Merlin’s Blade – Treskillard
- Ender’s Game – O.S. Card
- The Silmarillion – J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian- C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader- C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair- C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy – C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Magician’s Nephew- C.S. Lewis
- The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Last Battle- C.S. Lewis
- Mere Christianity – C.S. Lewis
- The Weight of Glory – C.S. Lewis
- The Conviction To Lead – Albert Mohler
- Stop Dating The Church – Joshua Harris
- Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering – T. Keller
- The 40 Most Influential Christians – Daryl Aaron
- 30 Events That Shaped The Church – Alton Gansky
- Worship – John MacArthur
- Slave – John MacArthur
- The Attributes of God: Volume One – A.W. Tozer
- Follow Me – David Platt
Although I failed to hit my additional 2016 challenge of reading-one-book-a-week (I’m seven books short), yet I am contented with the variety of books that I read this year.
Thank you, 2016, for being crazy amazing and for being adventure-filled. Thank you friends, who suggested me good books to read, and for voluntarily lending me your personal copies of your books.
Cheers to 2017. Cheers to more reading.